Thursday, March 4, 2010

Birthday In Israel

As all things here seem to be, today is extremely emotional for me. I am surrounded by good friends on this day of mine but I am missing the family that birthed, raised, and saw all of my past 19 birthdays.

Part 1:

I worked today and had an awful work day. The only part that was even manageable was when my friends would come periodically on their time off to wish me the best. I did the work of myself and 2 people who didn't come to work. This would have been hard but alright except that when I would juggle them and switch between my work (most important) and the others people would yell at me for not doing the work of the others... so I would switch to that and get yelled at by someone else for not doing my job. I ended up leaving upset and exhausted. I am now sitting in the sun writing just being as calm as I can be. Knowing I am not going back to work no matter what tomorrow, even when they need me. Oh yeah also my closest family at work all forgot it was my birthday. Everyone but my co-worker who does the same thing as me that I trained and teach english to.

I look back from this day to last year's festivities on this day. I worked and then with Kim walked to meet all my friends at the Standard (then Hooligan's). All I could think about was love. I drank a  glass of Vodka Noah tricked me into and had a great time. I walked Kim home in the middle of the party so she could see Matt. I returned and don't remember much until the walk home.

Tonight I am going to Ramat Hashofet for the first time in 3 weeks. I plan on drinking whiskey with my friends and dancing my heart out. I am curious as to certain factors of the night like which soldiers will be able to come home tonight. We shall see.



Part 2:

The festivities kicked off with the volunteers presenting our Purim presentation for the organizers. We would be showing it to hundreds of people the next night. I took 3 shots of Arak to prepare myself for what I saw as impending doom. The "skit" we were preforming was a little provocative to say the least (I will try to find a copy to show you all). We preformed it a little tipsy and had a blast. Half the small judging audience stood while clapping while the other half covered their mouthes in horror (as I expected).

As we walked off stage I yelled out "Lets get drunk" and we began my birthday party. We marched upstairs only to find a Parve (Parve is chocolate without dairy so that you can eat it with meat and keep kosher" cake with candles. Being volunteers we don't have cutlery or plates easily available (I have a stock in my house) so the obvious decision was to eat with our hands. I served the cake to everyone and took a "slice" to my self. Before I knew it one of the pieces I had handed out was pressed against my face. That is when it began. Before I could count to 10 everyone around me was covering each other in cake. It was glorious! After mass showering we began listening to music and drinking. A lot more arak was consumed as well as whiskey and vodka. At 11:50 we stumbled towards the bus stop to go to Ramat-Hashofet. I climbed on and sat with one of the girl soldiers to talk about my love life and the past weeks events. Upon arrival the 20-30 of us climbed off the bus only to notice it was Ramat-Hashofet's Purim (costumed holiday) party. We were the only ones without crazy garb. Oh well. We danced the night away, had a lot of talking, and drank more arak.

As the night wore on and the tireless dancing continued, our bus arrived to take us home from this glorious night. With love in my heart and music in my head I got on the bus and sat down beside Avital. Avital and I listened to music we both loved and held hands on the way back. We walked each other upstairs once the bus arrived and said our good nights twice. I continued walking to my house where I happily rid myself of my clothes and landed in a content sleep.

No comments: